These 5 pieces of information represent key facts about the Hepatitis C virus.
- The new Hep C treatment has a 95% CURE rate, however cure does not equal immunity
- Hep C is a Blood Borne Virus meaning you catch from the blood of an infected person
- If you have Hepatitis C and drink Alcohol excessively the impact of the virus on the liver will be accelerated. You will speed up the damage to your liver.
- The most common way to Catch the Virus is through injecting drug use, in Ireland over 73% of people who inject drugs have Hep C. The other main ways to catch it are through snorting equipment, tattoos and piercings, unsanitized medical procedures and having a blood transfusion pre 1989. (Pre 1989 because blood was only tested after 1989)
- Getting the virus through Sex is a low risk factor however blood is more likely to be present if sex is rougher, goes on for a long time, if you are using sex toys or you are living with HIV. Men who have sex with men appear to be at a greater risk.
If you have any questions about these key facts please contact us or visit HSE, National Hepatitis Treatment Programme Website.